Fruit crop guides have been temporarily removed pending update
We apologise for the inconvenience to our members.
Please see recent TreeCropper issues for up to date articles and research.
Fruit Ripening Calendars
The following websites have fruit ripening charts to help you plan your orchard for year round fruit supply. We encourage you to contact your nearest branch for advice on recommended varieties for your region.
- NZ Gardener – A one page PDF crammed with information
- Tharfield Nursery
- Southern Woods Nursery
- McGrath Nursery – very comprehensive fruiting times for commercial varieties across the fruit types they supply. This data has been compiled from their Hastings site.
- Te Hana Nurseries
- Forgotten Fruits – grouped by early – mid – late fruiting time in their catalog for apples, plums and pears
- Edible Garden – fruiting sequence as part of their catalogue
- Blueberries NZ – lists varieties by their fruiting time
- Copperfield Nurseries – for citrus, click on each type for information on fruiting times for different varieties
- Tasty Trees – apples listed by early – mid – late
- Feijoas – lists varieties by their fruiting time
Links to useful information:
- Our database of recommended nurseries and suppliers
- AppleIndex – Apple identification guide
- Citrus identification guide
- Citrus research in NZ
- Southern Woods info sheets
- Waimea Nurseries Growing Guide (costs $12.95)
- Fruit Tree Selection and Care – South Coast Environment Centre
- Growing Fruits and Nuts – Nelson Environment Centre
- Root development of field crops
- Diseases of Tree Fruits in New Zealand – By JD Atkinson, 1971
- Niwa – Assessment of crop and tree species growing potential using climate, soil and topographic information
- Alternative Crops Suitable for the Tararua District – From the Tararua District Council
- Nelson Environment Centre – Growing Fruits and Nuts
- South Coast Environment Centre – Fruit Tree Selection and Care
- List of uncommon cold hardy fruit trees